WHO ARE THE GOVERNORS AT HAZELWOOD SCHOOLS?
Governors join the Governing body in five ways:
- As Local Authority governors – nominated by local political parties: bringing local community accountability perspectives
- As Parent governors – elected by parental ballot: with a key role to reflect the perspective of parents and the local community but also bringing their skills and experience to governance
- As Co-opted Governors – by nomination and invitation: bringing a particular skill or area of expertise to the governing body
- As Staff governor – elected by staff ballot: bringing the views perspective of teaching and support staff
- As Associated governor – by nomination and invitation: bringing a particular skill or area of expertise to the governing body
It is a legal requirement to have the first four governor categories.
The period of appointment is typically four years.
The Full Governing Body of Hazelwood Schools is made up as follows:
Click on our names to find out a little more about us.
AUTHORITY GOVERNOR – Enfield Council
PARENT GOVERNOR – Elected by Parents
- Selma Esseghir
- Monika Lala
- Prunella Khalawan-Rad
- Neil Smith
- Nicolas Buckley
- Jo Bird
- Stella Gannon (Deputy Headteacher)
- Nicky Ross (Headteacher) Ex-officio
- Charlie Thomas
CLERK TO GOVERNORS
- Janet Balfour
The different backgrounds support balanced and responsive governance – ensuring accountability to the families and children of our school community.
The Head teacher is a member of the governing body through her leadership role.
We are very fortunate that senior leaders at Hazelwood School attend our full Governing Body meetings and Sub-committees and engage with governors on strategic and accountability matters.
In addition, we invite school staff to make presentations at our meetings to support our understanding of key aspects of their work when we are discussing a particular topic such as the curriculum or provision for children with special educational needs.
The more we know and understand about the schools, the more we are able to support and challenge to secure improvements.
The Governing Body has responsibility for both the Infant and Junior schools as part of the ‘Federation’ arrangement.
The Full Governing Body meetings take place four times a year. The key focus is to support the strategic direction of the school and monitor the educational progress of the school and its financial performance.
We have two sub-committees and a Strategic Group. Each Committee has Terms of Reference which are renewed at the start of the school year and Cycles of Work which describe the priorities for the year and the range of activities to be undertaken, including visits to the school.
Need to send an email to the Chair of Governors? Click here.